The coastal style originates from the houses located on the Coast of America, especially those located on the Atlantic Coast, being loved by everyone that remembers the moments of relaxation and fun on the beach. In the recent years, one of the fastest growing styles is the American Coastal Style, exceeding the Coastal Ocean Area and becoming a beloved style on the mainland too.
This design style gives a bright and airy appearance to the interiors, creates a quiet and relaxing atmosphere by using natural materials and textures, simple lines and bright colours, specific to the ocean. A living that is decorated using the coastal style is full of light, comfortable, airy, calm, pleasant and relaxing as a summer breeze. A low-keyed and intimate corner which brings joy and mind relief.
In a synthesis attempt, we present to you the general features and some of the specific decorative elements of the American Coastal Style.
The American Coastal Style:
– specific colour shades and tones of the ocean and sky, with focus on white, blue, oceanic green and sandy beige. The wood decors are usually in contrast with these light colours having darker tones;
– decorations that reflect and increase luminosity are made out of mirrors and glass;
– the presence of some decorations that give an exotic appearance are made out of seagrass, rattan, cane, teak and bamboo;
– Accessories which are particular for the nautical domain – boat rudder, fishing nets, specific sailors’ equipment, ropes and running knots;
– natural decors made of various materials, especially wood, decayed or weathered, eventually found on the beaches. Seashells and sand in various glass vases, imitations of coral sea urchins or corals also give a natural and exotic note.
– hardwood floors or stone tiles
Even if the above features belong to the Unitary American Design Coastal Style, yet options appear and differences of approach depending on the area, dividing this style into 3: California Coastal, Gulf Coast and Atlantic Seaboard.
California Coastal Style is more sophisticated, with Asian and old European styles influences, from the beginning of the last century. The fabrics are made out of natural fibers and can be encountered in sisal carpets. The decors, accessories and wood finishes have a dark colour contrasting with light coloured fabrics.
The Gulf Coastal Style is dominated by finishes in light shades that contrast with some paintings and supplies in vibrant and tropical colours. For accessories and supplies, willow and rattan are generously used. This elegant style can be both modern and retro.
Atlantic Seaboard involves the usage of more significant marine themes, the presence of stripes and canvases. Beside the white colour that is characteristic to the style, we can encounter in the decors the colours blue, red, yellow and black. The finishes are easy, weathered or painted. Traditional themes from the time of Colonial America are also displayed.
It’s good to keep in mind that beside the American Costal Style with all its varieties, other styles like the Tropical and Mediterranean Costal style have also matured. The Tropical Costal style is specific to the Hawaii and Polynesia islands and many other islands from the Pacific Ocean and the Mediterranean Costal style is found mainly in Italy, Spain and Greece. These styles will be subject of other articles. For those who love the American Coastal Style we have selected a series of photographs that can be a source of inspiration.