From the architect: This project involved the radical alteration and refurbishment of an existing terraced house on the South coast. The building dates from 1908 and is one of the earliest houses in the UK to use a reinforced concrete frame. Originally designed with a cellular layout, it was a warren of small, cramped rooms, with a ramshackle exterior both front and back.
Our approach was to strip back the visual clutter, and apply a coherence to the detail and finishes of the facades in a way that remains sympathetic to neighbouring properties. The layout has been transformed, opening up the plan to create larger, brighter interior spaces that connect more successfully with the building’s dramatic coastal setting.