The Cobble Hill Townhouse is a large, historic, 1850’s townhouse in the Cobble Hill Historic District. Previous renovations had divided the house into four apartments and compromised much of the original detail.
In Brooklyn’s prime Clinton Hill neighborhood, Murdock Solon Architects completely transformed this Landmarked townhouse while maintaining many of its original elements through creative interventions.
78 Third Place–the first Passive House Plus built in the United States–included a rehabilitation of a townhouse built in the early 1900’s. Revitalized by New York-based studio, Baxt Ingui the work respected the original historical architecture of the main building and restoration of the front façade
This 20-foot-wide wood frame townhouse, located at the end of a row along a narrow side yard, had existing front and rear extensions. The building volume was selectively manipulated—in some cases through addition, in others through subtraction—to improve room sizes, sequences and adjacencies.
The Switchback House is a prototype for the new urban family, inverting the traditional row house in two primary ways. One, by replacing a stacked stair with a switchback stair, and two, inserting a dramatic skylight directly above the new vertical stair volume.
The owners of this 11 foot wide row Brooklyn house were faced with a conundrum that many young families in New York eventually confront: the possibility of sacrificing location for space. After living in the house for eight years, the pair – architect/Yale critic Aniket Shahane and jewelry designer Blanca Monros Gomez